The Rivanna Trails Foundation (RTF) is seeking an Intern for the 2021 summer. Main tasks involve coordinating volunteers to install "wayfinding" posts, trailhead signs, and maps around the 20 mile loop portion. The intern must be outgoing, motivated, and able to work independently on tasks. The timing of the work is flexible and should be completed by mid August. A stipend of $500 will be paid at the completion of the work. The intern must have their own reliable transportation; an additional $100 for mileage reimbursement is available.
Interested applicants should email RTF Board Member Allie Hill via AllieMaeHill@gmail.com. Please include why you would like to work with the Rivanna Trails Foundation and any questions about the internship.
INTERNSHIP TASK DESCRIPTIONS
Plan for New Sign Installation
- Approximately 50 wayfinding posts have been planned for and custom mileage signs are being printed. Sixteen 6"x6" wooden posts have been installed thus far with no printed signs yet attached. The remaining posts and all mileage signs will be installed this summer. This can be accomplished using volunteer groups, summer work parties, etc., with the intern leading this charge and organizing the activities. The RTF has tools for installation.
- Determine where new RTF trailhead signs should be installed.
- Plan for new road walk/discontinuous trail map signage.
Coordinate Printing RTF Paper Maps
- Work with RTF to print paper maps for the new kiosks being installed this summer.
- Coordinate printing of smaller maps for distribution to area bike and outdoor shops.
Make Suggestions for Signage Improvement
- When on the trail, make note where clarification signs are needed.